Saturday, May 3, 2008

From bad to worse and back again

It has been awhile since I posted...apologies. I know that you are not going to hold it against me though when you read what we have been through! Get comfortable - this is a long one and no pictures or anything!!

The day after Dylan's birthday, we had planned a little fete. I was starting to worry about the amount of people coming and then Dylan got sick. At first it wasn't too bad, then there was the day of puke, followed by the day of poop and then the party day was fever central. We canceled all of the baby crowd and then the TTC strike came along. So really, it turned into a very small affair, with a very cranky and hot baby of honour. The next day his fever broke and we were in the clear.

Tuesday, we decide that we would try a do-over party for the baby gang. We have a lot of hot dogs to get through and a hearty supply of beer - babies love beer! I sent out an email including the following excerpt:

So I guess what I am saying is "do you want to come over for some afternoon beer and hot dogs?"
Of course, by sending this e-mail I am sure that I am guaranteeing some natural disaster, dylan coming down with some new sickness, another ttc strike, or all of the above!

Yeah, so that happened big time.

yep. the hospital sized sick. Here is the story in all the gory details - N.B. - we are home now and Dylan is much better.

Wednesday night Dylan started a bit of a cough. Thursday morning he was pretty awful, but we decided that he was okay enough to go to daycare. we got a call thursday at 4 to come and get him - he had a fever and was very unwell. It took me 1.5 hours to get home! But Neven got him. By the time I arrived, he was miserable and very coughy. after talking to a telehealth nurse who assured us that we could treat at home, he seemed to be getting worse. we knew about the kids clinic at st.joes, and knowing that we wouldn't rest all night worrying about him, we headed off at around 6:30. We were last in a very long line. At 7:30 I breastfed him and afterwards he started to have real trouble breathing. so scary. I went to talk to the receptionist and she let us cut the line. The doctor was very worried and sent us down to get x-rays. There we waited for an hour, because the system was down and they had to input his info manually...anyhoo. The guy felt terrible. Finally a technician came and took us straight to radiology. I went in with dylan to have his throat x-rayed. This was a terrifying experience for him. I wasn't sure what to do and the tech was very forceful. I keep thinking that if I could have explained stuff to Dylan he would have been less freaked out, but I was as confused as he was. One of the films didn't turn out and we had to do it all over. After, Dylan was so upset that he threw up on me, lucky girl, I got to wear that shirt for a day and a half! We went upstairs and waited for the clinic doc who had been called to the maternity ward.

When we saw her again, she had checked the x-rays and now was even more confused. She kept asking if there was a chance that he had swallowed something. He is in daycare...I hope not, but I don't know- aggh. She called the radiologist to help her interpret the xrays and then immediately called the ears nose and throat specialist (ENT). He didn't arrive for another 1-2hours. He kind of swept in. listened to dylan and then called around getting fancy equipment. He wanted to do a scope (camera down the throat) to see if dyl had epiglottitis . Luckily we got the all clear there, but were admitted to the paed ward for suspected croup with trachetis. There we waited until 2am to get the iv inserted successfully - after 4 tries. He got steroids (Neven commented that now his entire baseball career will include an asterix) and antibiotics. We stayed from Thursday night until Saturday at 4pm. It was really scary. They were talking about sending him to sick kids and sedating him for further scopes. sob. but he is okay, getting better and going to stay home with mama for most of the week. We are doing a follow-up with the ENT next week to make sure that we are all clear. The doctor we saw today confirmed that Dylan had croup with severe trachetis. He commented that it was very serious - they have not used a scope on an infant in over ten years. He also told us that Dylan is now more susceptible to croup with complications in the future. We will have to be on the vigilant look-out for any signs. woo-hoo!

sigh. And that is how we spent our weekend. Hope that everyone else's was better!!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Oh my goodness Sarah, that's terrifying! I don't know how you're supposed to know when they're this little how sick they really are! Glad that you are all ok.