Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mean Girls

And not in the funny Rachel McAdams kind of way. These mean girls made me cry. Sure there was a time (not so long ago...about 10 1/2 months, when my hormones were a little wacky) when crying was a more frequent event. Lately there has been little cause for crying. Then yesterday happened.

I have a store credit for a little boutique in Bloor West Village called MerryGoRound. The sales staff are a special breed. They are super pushy, opinionated and frankly pretty bitchy. I didn't really mind this in the past because the people I had dealt with were good at their jobs. They can make you feel so gorgeous, put together an outfit in seconds and have you leaving the store with a smile. Apparently they can also be totally unhelpful, spiteful and then make you cry.

I went in last night looking to find a few shirts that would make me feel better about my post baby bub, and be suitable for the office. They brought me some doozies. They made comments about how I was crazy not to like some of them because they were doing wonders for my "waist". The quotations? That is how they referred to my figure...nice. I managed to find a couple of little things and then one shirt that I was pretty sure about. The fabric was a little weird though and just before I paid, I wanted to make sure that if Neven thought that it was hideous, I would be able to return it. Nope. No way. Anything bought on store credit is final sale! Why? To make sure that you are not just wasting their time forever. So, being that I was not completely convinced about the item I opted not to buy it. They were noticeably miffed and got even bitchier. Then one of the women looked at me - knowing that I was feeling self conscious and not completely confident - and said "Can't you make a decision on your own?" Make sure that as you read what she said you put the meanest edge to it - she was vicious. I told her that I thought that her comment was uncalled for and mean spirited and she stared blankly at me as my tears began to fall. Neither of them acknowledged that I was very visibly upset. As I left the store they continued to berate me - "Next time come when you actually have some time to shop. And I guess you should bring a friend since you obviously don't trust us."

I have never had a more negative experience shopping. A friend of mine did some poking around and found that I am not alone. Check out this message board!! Sadly I will have to go back in order to use the rest of my store credit, but not without some back up.

7 comments:

Kendra said...

I had a similar experience in Alex Farms today, although no where near as mean. I went in to pick up some nice goats cheddar at 10 am on the way to dance class with the babe this morning. Three young men watched me negotiate the stroller into their empty shop on my own. I asked for goats cheddar. They said "No." I said "Do you have goats mozarella?" they said "No." I was at a loss for words. After a long pause one offered sullenly that they had goats gouda. So I bought it and left.

PS I think that you're hot so they can stuff it!!:)

Anonymous said...

I am going with you next week sauce! we are bringing lola. LOOK out bithcy stoopid ladies!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks guys! It is nice to know that y'all have my back.

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time you need to bring the Stoski sistah's because that doesnt fly with me. I am the Queen at Customer Service and I would have one or two tips to give em !! What bitches. But I always say "Dont let it bother you , life could be worse " ...but still those snots need to be put in there places !!

two steps said...

http://www.bloorwest.info/forum/viewtopic.asp?forumid=39&id=110

other's had bad experiences and I suggest leaving your comments in as many places as possible.

word of mouth people...it's all about word of mouth!

Anonymous said...

Shocking. Let me at 'em! (who am I kidding - I'm the classic cowardly lion...I'd have cried too!)

Scrolling through the comments on the bb you linked to was pretty shocking, too. Hard to believe anyone can stay in business treating folks like that.

holy cow(s)!

Sarah said...

An update! I sent a letter to all of the papers and fashion magazines that I could think of and the blog tracker has revealed that the Toronto Star took the bait! Even if nothing ever comes of it, I feel much better. Thanks for all of the support gang!